Last week I detailed how I configured Mailman with Exim and Nginx on a Debian Squeeze . Here are some more notes on how I migrated my mailing lists from my old server (Lenny with Mailman 2.1.11) to the new Mailman installation (Squeeze with Mailman 2.1.13).

First, I remove the default mailman meta-list as I will retrieve the one from the old server:

$ /etc/init.d/mailman stop
$ rmlist -a mailman
$ /var/lib/mailman/bin/genaliases

Then I copy mailing-list data from the old server to the new:

$ rsync --progress -vrae "ssh -C" /var/lib/mailman/lists    [email protected]:/var/lib/mailman/
$ rsync --progress -vrae "ssh -C" /var/lib/mailman/archives [email protected]:/var/lib/mailman/
$ rsync --progress -vrae "ssh -C" /var/lib/mailman/data     [email protected]:/var/lib/mailman/

Back to our new server, fix some rights, check all lists are there, and run the automatic update:

$ chown -R list:list /var/lib/mailman/
$ /etc/init.d/mailman start
$ list_lists
$ /var/lib/mailman/bin/update

Now let Mailman check its databases and fix permission:

$ check_db -a -v
$ check_perms -f -v

At this point you may get this error in your /var/log/exim4/mainlog :

2011-09-13 10:06:09 failed to expand condition "${lookup{$local_part@$domain}lsearch{/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman}{1}{0}}" for mailman_router router: failed to open /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman for linear search: Permission denied (euid=101 egid=103)

This can be fixed with ( source  ):

$ chgrp Debian-exim /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

You may also encounter this error:

2011-09-13 10:06:09 [] F=<[email protected]> rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: Unrouteable address

In this case regenerating Mailman aliases should fix the issue:

$ /var/lib/mailman/bin/genaliases

By the way, to test that Exim is routing mails as expected, your can use the following command:

$ exim -bt [email protected]
R: system_aliases for [email protected]
R: mailman_router for [email protected]
[email protected]
  router = mailman_router, transport = mailman_transport

Last problem I had was mails did not reached my server. Everytime I send something from Gmail to a list, I got back error mails saying this:

Technical details of permanent failure: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 relay not permitted (state 14).

I fixed this issue by updating my SPF record on the domain from:

v=spf1 a mx ~all


v=spf1 a mx ptr ~all